Georgian troops consolidated near Kodori Gorge
Georgian troops are being concentrated in the direction of the Kodori Gorge, REGNUM correspondent quotes Deputy Defense Minister of Abkhazia Anatoly Zaitsev to inform. The force numbers about 8, 000, the official said.
It is comprised of two groups of 6, 000 and 2, 000 military. Zaitsev commented that the Abkhazian side is ready to repel possible aggression. At the same time, he observed that no additional deployment of armed forces was planned, and everything goes ''as planned.''
Zaitsev regards activation of the Georgian armed forces near Abkhazia's Kodori Gorge as Tbilisi's desire to retaliate. ''Georgia has unequivocally announced that she was not going to accept defeat and was going to regain its lost positions,'' he stressed. Zaitsev did not specify suggested time of possible onset.
Printer friendly version | This news in Russian | PDA version (in Russian)
Georgian-Abkhaz conflict - Latest Headlines:
- Sergey Bagapsh: Sukhum will participate in negotiations in Geneva on equal terms with Tbilisi
- Georgia repudiates Georgians of Gali district of Abkhazia
- Abkhazia insists on equal treatment of all participants of Geneva talks
- President of South Ossetia puts under question objectiveness of West at Geneva talks
- Russian peacekeepers' posts withdrawn from the territory of Georgia in the Georgian-Abkhaz conflict zone