ArmRosGazprom called the population to save gas
The ArmRosGazprom Company has appealed to the Armenian population to save gas and use alternative sources for heating, the company’s spokeswoman Shushanna Sardaryan told REGNUM.
According to her, after the gas supplies were cut off from Russia, ArmRosGazprom started supplying gas to the customers in the previous amount from the Abovyan underground gas reservoir. Meanwhile, as Sardaryan noted, in the next few days gas supplies to the local gas stations.
If the population saves gas, the resources will be enough until the gas pipeline from Russia to Georgia and Armenia is restored, said the spokesperson for the company, which is the exclusive importer of gas to Armenia. According to her, Armenia daily consumes 6.7 million cubic meters of gas.
On Sunday, several explosions have occurred on the Mozdok-Tbilisi section of the gas pipeline, as a result, gas supplies from Russia to the South Caucasian countries was cut off. As the Russian Emergency Ministry says, the explosions occurred at 02:55 a.m. (Moscow time) near the Lars check-point in South Ossetia (Russia). The ministry cannot confirm yet whether the explosions were caused by terror activity or some technical reasons. According to preliminary assumption, the gas pipeline was damaged by technological reasons.
On January 22, Armenian President Robert Kocharyan is scheduled to go to Moscow to hold talks on tariffs on gas supplied from Russia to Armenia via the pipeline that exploded today.
Printer friendly version | This news in Russian | PDA version (in Russian)
Explosion on gas pipeline and electric power lines in Caucasus - Latest Headlines:
- Death of ex-Georgian prime minister: there was no any gas poisoning: Georgian press digest
- Burjanadze is satisfied with deepening of Georgian-Azerbaijani relations
- Armenian expert: Blowing up gas mains play mostly into the hands of US and allies
- How to get warm?: Georgian press digest
- Ukraine to send $2.4 million to Georgia
Gazprom to raise gas prices for neighboring countries - Latest Headlines:
- Gazprom: In 2009, price for natural gas for Ukraine can be higher than $400
- Timoshenko says close to realization of scheme for working with Gazprom without mediators
- Ukraine will pay no more than $179 for gas Timoshenko
- Yushchenko explains to Russia at what price to sell gas to Ukraine
- Kharkov governor knows what price of Russian gas for Ukraine will be