Expert: Baku has unofficially agreed to take part in anti-Iranian coalition
The USA is main initiator of various ways of Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement, as well as most active mediator of the negotiation process, Azerbaijani analyst Arif Yunusov is quoted as saying by a REGNUM correspondent at The Caucasus in Russian Policy: History and the Present International Conference organized by Caucasus Research Center at Russian Foreign Ministry’s Moscow State University of International Relations (MGIMO).
According to him, Russian co-Chair of OSCE Minsk Group Yuri Merzlyakov, who, according Yunusov, sabotaged the talks, did not practically support activity of the American side. At the same time, Yunusov stated that American diplomacy did not succeed in achieving any results to settle the Karabakh conflict, and, according to Yunusov, American co-Chair Steven Mann is to be dismissed, receiving a new appointment.
Also, the Baku analyst mentioned processes, which develop around Iran, as well as Azerbaijan’s attitudes towards to them. According to him, official Baku has unofficially agreed with Washington to take part in anti-Iranian coalition, offering their airdromes and other communications to satisfy US army’s requirements. Also, according to him, main part of Azerbaijani public opinion is categorically again such decision, because it realizes risks, which will become real, if Iran is attacked. Iranian authorities directly stated that if the Azerbaijani side supports Americans, they will attack on 24 most important objects in Azerbaijan, including BTC oil pipeline, which will cause ecological disaster, and even, maybe – on Baku residential areas, the analyst stressed. Also, he informed that despite that, seven airdromes have unofficially been handed over to Americans, and appropriate conditions and infrastructure are prepared to settle US servicemen in the south of Azerbaijan. The analyst pointed out that there is danger of refugees’ afflux from Iran in the light of possible attack against the country. Already now, according to Yunusov’s information, confirmed, in his words, by the Iranian ambassador in Baku, up to 50,000 Iranian citizens have settled in the Azerbaijani territory.
Printer friendly version | This news in Russian | PDA version (in Russian)
Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan Project - Latest Headlines:
- Declarations of Kiev Energy Summit are a desperate cry of ineffective allies of the West- Modest Kolerov
- Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline goes to pieces?
- Azerbaijan thinking about suspension of oil transportation via Baku-Novorossiysk
- 4.8mln of Azerbaijani oil transported via Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline since January
- There are all prerequisites for establishing protectorate over historical Armenian lands in the territory of Turkey: Armenian press digest
Iranian nuclear program - Latest Headlines:
- Russia starts delivering nuclear fuel to Bushehr
- Opinion: Key question is what happens, if Russia does not deliver nuclear fuel to Bushehr
- Opinion: Iran is not a goal but means of the American hegemonic policy in the world
- Putin believes rumors of a plot against him in Tehran were attempt to derail talks
- Iran proposes to Russia to construct two more NPPs in its territory