Anna Politkovskaya’s murder: Makarov could be placed stealthily
Novaya Gazeta newspaper reporter Anna Politkovskaya was shot from an Izh gun and not from Makarov pistol; Kommersant informs.
Murder used the Izh with silencer; that is why; Politkovskaya’s neighbors did not hear reports. The murder fired point-blank three times: two times deadly on her heart and the third time on her shoulder. The fourth shot, made at head of the already dead woman, was a control one. The murder threw his pistol, whose serial number was filed down, near the victim’s body.
As RG newspaper stresses, version, according to which the journalist was killed from another weapon and the pistol was purposefully stealthily placed in order to complicate investigation, may not be excluded until experts examine the case.
Mrs. Politkovskaya was killed on October 7 at 04:10 p.m. in entrance of house in Lesnaya St., where she rented an apartment. A neighbor, who discovered body of the journalist five minutes later, called police. Criminal proceedings on charge with murder of person in connection with fulfilling his/her professional duties or civic duty are brought in accordance with Russian Criminal Codex.
Burial will take place on October 10 at Troyekurovo cemetery in Moscow.
Current special issue of Novaya Gazeta is devoted to Anna Politkovskaya. Excerpts from her articles about the situation with human rights both in the whole country and in separate regions are presented there.
Printer friendly version | This news in Russian | PDA version (in Russian)
Russian journalist killed in Moscow - Latest Headlines:
- Russia will be asked for information about possible links of assassins of Anna Politkovskaya with Latvia
- PACE President welcomes arrests on murder of Anna Politkovskaya
- FSB colonel and foreigner are suspects on case of murder of Anna Politkovskaya
- Russian Prosecutor General Yuri Chaika confirms Chechen trace in assassination of Anna Politkovskaya
- Ten people detained on assassination of reporter Anna Politkovskaya