Azerbaijan to receive part of Iran, and Armenia – Nagorno Karabakh?
Launch of military actions against Iran would necessarily destabilize the situation in the South Caucasian region, Head of International Relations Problems Department at the Political and Military Analysis Institute Sergey Markedonov has told to a REGNUM correspondent.
At the same time, he treated skeptically the prospect of military actions in Iran. Launch of a military operation in the Islamic republic would force the US to transform all its military system. The war in Iraq has shown that the US Army formed on the basis of contracts cannot endure two wars, noted Sergey Markedonov. Iran is a large country with 70 million population. Taking into account this as well, the war is not profitable for Americans, as the US will have to switch to draft and mobilization, and American society is not ready for it, believes the analyst.
According to him, in case of a military operation against Iran, Georgia would support this campaign, as it has already chosen a pro-American position. Positions of both Azerbaijan and Armenia on this issue are very complicated. Ilham Aliyev’s behavior in Washington has shown Azerbaijan’s concern, because, if it supports the USA, Iran would strike Azerbaijan in response, the expert noted adding that in theory a variant of exchange is possible. If the operation is a success, Azerbaijan gets part of Iran, and Armenia receives Karabakh, but it is only theoretical, concluded Sergey Markedonov.
Printer friendly version | This news in Russian | PDA version (in Russian)
Iranian nuclear program - Latest Headlines:
- Russia starts delivering nuclear fuel to Bushehr
- Opinion: Key question is what happens, if Russia does not deliver nuclear fuel to Bushehr
- Opinion: Iran is not a goal but means of the American hegemonic policy in the world
- Putin believes rumors of a plot against him in Tehran were attempt to derail talks
- Iran proposes to Russia to construct two more NPPs in its territory
Nagorno Karabakh conflict - Latest Headlines:
- Gayane Novikova: An analysis of the losses in the case of a transfer of some territories controlled by NKR to Baku is absent
- Presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan will meet on January, 28
- Azerbaijan has broken cease fire in Karabakh conflict zone
- Azerbaijan demands total and unconditional surrender of Armenia — expert opinion
- Russia sees positive shift in settlement of Karabakh conflict